Sunday, September 8, 2013

So Much in So Little Time

Since my last post, a lot has happened! Some of which includes: guests from Melany's family and friends from back home, a long weekend with a trip to Lifelight, my first "real" week of school, leading the classroom in morning meeting on Tuesday and Wednesday, all-school family night with nachos, Parmelee girls Bible study, and Chipotle night here at 503 He Dog. (We should really think of a fun name for our house)

I almost didn't want to write another post because it would take a long time to write about everything that happened, but then I decided I should at least write something even if I don't get talk about everything that happened. So, at least now you have a very brief overview of the last few weeks.

One highlight was having company for the long Labor Day weekend. Melany's brother and their friend Brooke came to hang out with us and to spend time with the kids here. We took 4 boys and 5 girls from Okreek and Parmelee to Lifelight christian music festival in Sioux Falls on Sunday night to see Newsboys. Unfortunately Melany got sick at the last minute and was not able to go. It was a pretty big disappointment for all of us, especially since she was the one who had planned the trip. It also delayed us, so we missed most of the evangelist that spoke before Newsboys came on.  But overall it was a good trip and a great concert. I think the kids really enjoyed it. I know at least one of the guys we took had seen Newsboys in concert before and really likes them, so I'm sure he really enjoyed it. The lead singer also spoke about some really cool things in between the songs that I think had the potential to really affect these kids. He talked about even though people, christians especially, can put on a front, we all have serious issues that only Christ can heal. He also talked about his mother who is close to death and how that made him grieve, but also rejoice because of our hope in Christ. I pray that those who were there really take time to think about what he said. Sometimes it seems to me such a small thing that we took some kids from the rez to a christian concert, but I know that God can work mightily through the small things. And you never know how one simple thing that was said, sung, or heard can affect the heart of a teenager.  I hope that you will also pray with me for the hearts of these youth.

Also, as we start a girls Bible study for the Parmelee girls, I would appreciate prayer for wisdom as we lead, open hearts to receive God's word, and most of all that they would be saved and come to know the Lord personally. We started our first week of Bible study Friday night. We decided to do a study on Esther, so this first week we watched the movie The Book of Esther. I was not hugely impressed by the movie, but I think it was good for the girls to at least have a decent overview of the story of Esther. We are going to meet every other week and go through the book, For Such a Time as This. We also want to try to split the 11 girls up into 3 small groups because we really want these girls to open up and connect which would be more difficult in the bigger group.  So prayer for Melany, Bethany, and myself as we each lead a group would really be appreciated.

Well, this post is already really long, so I'll stop there. Thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement! This week was long, but this weekend was really restful. Today especially was a great time to really connect with God and get energized for the upcoming week. I can't wait to see what God has for me on the road ahead!
God bless!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Laura for a wonderful post. Please do not apologize for it being long. It is very interesting and we appreciate what you are doing and enjoy hearing about your days! So please continue telling us about what you are doing!

    Norm/Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norm and Jan! I will try to keep up with my posts!

      Delete
  2. To fine friend Laura Beth,

    Hey what length of blog you write is perfectly fine with us. I would suggest that if time allows write a highlight about every third day or so. I am so glad you applied your photography skills in this blog. Huh did you ever think that your camera skill could be applied to some sort if ministry program for the school. Something to think about. LB great job and God's Speed always.

    Verne

    ReplyDelete