Thursday, September 19, 2013

Going Solo

So this week has been pretty cray-cray (sorry Stephen, I just had to say it). On Monday we had inservice, which for the Paras (teacher's assistants) pretty much meant reading through a section of the "Framework for Professional Practice" handbook and then working in our classrooms. It was really nice to get a break form the students and get some unfinished work and cleaning done. Except that I still had so much left undone at the end of the day. Then on Tuesday I was in charge of the classroom all by myself! Mrs. Hausman (the teacher I work with) had some data analysis training, or something like that with the school district, so I was put in charge of the class for the day. Whoopie! I only knew about this 2 or 3 days in advance which was actually good because I didn't really have enough time to worry or get stressed about it. Also, Bethany (my roomate) had been talking earlier about how she wanted to not get stressed in teaching and to just enjoy it more. So, I had already been intentionally looking to do the same. And God in his grace allowed Tuesday to be a really good day. I didn't get too stressed, the students behaved, for the most part, and I think they learned something too! It was really a huge comfort to have to lead the class in a way. My coworkers checked in on me and looked out for me, and now I know that it is possible for me to lead a classroom for a day if I have to. But mostly it was good to have this opportunity to rely so much on Christ to sustain me and to guide the day in how He wants it to go.

Yesterday was also quite interesting... it was a very long day. We had our first almost big issue in our class. One of the kids who frequently needs attention, reminders to stay on task, and to not talk in class had a minor breakdown. He was denied a bathroom break because he was messing around in the hallway and we as a class were going to take a break soon anyway. He got really upset and was crying and wouldn't come back to the classroom on his own, so I had to almost drag him back to our room. I was pretty upset too because I didn't know what to do and what would be best for him. I felt bad for causing this, but I knew I couldn't let him get away with not following the hallway rules. This student is also one of our low students in the class and often needs reminders to do his work. I know he has some issues at home and is on a new medication for ADHD, so that also makes it hard trying to do the right thing for him. I know he is going to be an ongoing struggle and would really appreciate prayer for him and for me and Mrs. Hausman as we try to deal with the situations that come up with him. Anyway, that was a fun day :)

Then tonight my sister decided that she is going to come visit me tomorrow!! Yay! A completely awesome end to a crazy weekend. I can't tell you how excited I am to see her!

Well, that's kind of my week in an almost short version ;)

Peace!

1 comment:

  1. I always thought you were cool as a cucumber and never stressed. You are doing a great job. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete